Descanso Gardens Comes to Life at Night with Its New ‘NightGarden’
Series of Events - Taking Place February through May
Wednesday, January 16, 2019
As the sun sets, Descanso Gardens sinks into darkness and, starting February, that’s when the fun begins. For the first time ever, this spring Descanso will open the garden gates at night for NightGarden, a new monthly series featuring special evenings of science, music, libations and surprises. Whether you’re a plant nerd or just up for something new, Descanso can’t wait to welcome you into the NightGarden. Events are $5 members/$15 non-members. Visitors can register online at www.descansogardens.org, in person at the Descanso Gardens Visitor Center, or by phone at (818) 949-4200.“We are very excited to introduce our new NightGarden series,” said Juliann Rooke, Executive Director. “People often wonder what goes on after hours in the Gardens, so this spring we’re giving guests the opportunity to learn more about nature through once-a-month nighttime events. With NightGarden, they can take a tour, dance to music under the trees, learn about nature in a natural setting…all while enjoying delicious food and beverages.”
NightGarden: February 9, March 16, April 6 & May 18. 5:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
NightGarden: Campfire Stories
February 9: Bundle up, enjoy live music and discover what happens in the Gardens after dark. Warm up with hot chocolate, grilled cheese and soup in the crisp night air. Take a tour and dance to music amidst the flowers. Let your inner science geek go free and enjoy nature in a new way.
• Live Insect Viewing: 5:30 p.m. – 8 p.m. Discover the insects that call Descanso home after dark. Descanso horticulture staff will lead an interactive, drop-in activity.
• Crafting: 5:30 p.m. – 8 p.m. Join us for a fun, hands-on activity for all ages.
• Food for Purchase by Patina: 5:30 p.m. – 8 p.m. Enjoy delicious hot chocolate, s’mores and more.
• Live Music: Rocky Neck Bluegrass: 6:30 p.m. – 8 p.m. This lively fiddle, mandolin and guitar trio will play a variety of tunes under the night sky.
• Shadow Puppet Theater: 6 p.m., 6:15 p.m., 8 p.m. & 8:15 p.m. Using beautiful handmade shadow puppets, master puppeteer, Leslie K. Gray will perform Chase the Kangaroo, a story that explores how the world is a beautiful place.
• Star Talks: 6:30 p.m., 7 p.m., 7:30 p.m. Learn about winter-time constellations, identifying night sky-objects and more in these 20-minute Star Talks.
NightGarden: Plant Power
March 16: Harnessing the power of plants for both mental and physical healing is centuries old. Come enjoy relaxing activities that will help you understand the amazing potential of the living things that grow all around us.
NightGarden: LA Blooms!
April 6: Celebrate the flower power of Descanso. These colorful, fragrant beauties are an important part of our ecosystem. Wear your best florals as you learn about ours.
NightGarden: Science Quest
May 18: Discover the science of nature that surrounds us from the ground below to the stars above. It’s like science class, but even more fun!
Activities for all NightGarden events include:
• Guided tours that reveal hidden garden stories
• Talks by guest speakers to get you thinking and pique your curiosity about science, nature, people’s relationships to plants, and the world around you
• Music under the trees
• Specialty food and drink by Patina
About Descanso Gardens
Founded as a public garden in 1953, Descanso Gardens is located at 1418 Descanso Drive, La Cañada Flintridge. Descanso Gardens is open daily (closed Christmas) from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is $9 for adults; $6 for seniors and students with a school I.D.; $4 for children 5 to 12, and free for ages 4 and younger. Descanso Gardens is a member-supported garden accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. Join Descanso Gardens and enjoy free admission and early entry year-round. Information: (818) 949-4200 or descansogardens.org.