Plumbing Fixes Everyone Should Know
Monday, February 6, 2017
1. Unclog drains with ease – Try using a plunger, as your clog may simply be a build-up of hair and debris. If this doesn’t work you may have to clear the drain with a snake. Feed the snake into the drain line as far as it will go. Turn the crank gently, which will help to loosen the clog. Remove the snake, and run water down the drain to see if the clog has been removed. You may have to use the snake a couple of times, before the clog is cleared so don’t give up!
2. Fix leaking faucets and showerheads – Dripping faucets can waste a lot of water and that can add to your bill. And if you don’t fix a dripping faucet or showerhead, the drip can get worse over time. Those problems can cause water damage. To prevent problems, check your faucets regularly for leaks and make repairs as needed. Check the handles to make sure no water drips when the handles are turned to the off position and check underneath the sinks for water stains or drips when the water is running.
3. Fix leaking toilets – Sometimes a faulty seal around the valve seat can cause your toilet to run even when it is not flushed. Over time, gunk will form around the valve seat and flapper. This gunk will prevent the flapper to seal properly, which will cause the water to continue to run. Another problem could be with the handle or tank stopper. The repair that is needed is often quick and inexpensive maintenance.
4. Check the water pressure - Water pressure is how much force is coming out of your faucets and showerheads. You can test the water pressure on your system with a pressure gauge to make sure it is at a safe level. One other preventative measure is to add a pressure regulator to maintain your water pressure at a safe level.
5. Remove and clean your shower head of any sediment that may have accumulated – This can improve the water pressure of your shower head.
But, when in doubt, always call a plumber. Contact Keithley Plumbing at www.keithleyplumbing.com or by calling (626) 449-0387. They are located at 3579 E Foothill Blvd., #227, Pasadena.